Thursday, March 08, 2012

FOR COFFEE LOVERS & OTHERS (Written sometime in 2005/06)


The world is talking about coffee. What once used to be an alien concept is now a ritual highlight. She asks, “What do you want to do this evening?” Her friend replies, “How does a cappuccino sound?” Well, how does it sound? Sounds great to me and I think it tastes even better!

But, why coffee? Doubtless there are still many who don’t understand why they need to spend a hundred rupees or 3 US dollars for a small cuppa coffee. I’ve often heard the statement ‘I might as well have my cup of coffee at home’. True as their concerns may be, I believe they haven’t understood what lies at the heart of every coffee date. The spirit of ‘coffee’ is easy to miss.

Since I live around 25 kilometers away from my parents, I barely get to spend time with them. Hence, a few days ago, I decided to ask them if I could bring them out someplace. When they consented, we went to a nice coffee shop which I personally favor. Both of them had in the recent past begun drinking coffee as opposed to tea at their doctor’s orders. I wondered if they, at their age, would appreciate (even just a little bit), the idea of a coffee-date.

When my dad called me the next morning to thank me for the fun evening we had shared, he added, “Would you like to do it again tonight?”

Looking back, I tried to remember the number of coffee-dates I’d had with a variety of people from across the world. The countries were different, the coffee-shops varied, the coffee and dessert we sampled, many, while each of the faces sitting before me had unique personal life-stories to their credit. You can go on a coffee date with a friend (girl or guy), your sibling, your parents or even an office contact. Blind dates over coffee are not advisable by me.

Amidst such differences, what made each of those coffee dates special and memorable? I realize it’s not what first comes to our minds when we fix that coffee date. What is it then? I believe the title I’ve given best suits this article since often times both coffee lovers and others don’t really get what it is all about. Allow me to share with you some of the Dynamics of Coffee.

Coffee, the Opportunity
Every official meeting presents opportunities for work, relationship or learning, then why not those over coffee. I believe when two or three people gather together to share moments over coffee, they make a statement which says that they have time for one-another. This creates an opportunity to share what’s on their minds and in their hearts. A sip of coffee, a questioned asked and answered … another sip and genuine interest from the listener allows the other to open up and share, unburdening himself of his deepest concerns.

Coffee, the opportunity for you to unburden yourself!

Coffee, the Friendship
The coffee experience comes under the banner of relationships, which is why a one time date doesn’t bear much fruit. Periodic (preferably once in two weeks) dates can turn these opportunities into healthy and meaningful moments of give and take. Genuine warmth and care is built around coffee cups. Some of the things your date would appreciate are honesty, a listening ear, advice when asked for, a hug and may be a treat (once in a while). Some days you may be at the listening end while other times, you may need a friend. The friendships built over coffee are long-lasting because each date picks up from where the previous one left off and there is a depth in relationships. The difference between a coffee date and an alcohol dominated one is that you always remember the previous meeting spent together over coffee.

Coffee, the friendship that lasts longer than the taste of coffee!

Coffee, the Comfort
Opportunities turned into friendship give you a chance to serve your date in a way that can change the course of their life. When the coffee tastes good, the music is soft and openness is shared, the time is right to help the other find his way back. Share comfort through words of wisdom. Lead the seeking heart to the right path and allow them to experience the solace in your friendship and advice. I recently read at a coffee shop that ‘A lot happens over coffee’. Yes, a lot can happen over coffee if all coffee-drinkers around the world are prepared and willing to connect with their dates and offer the assurance and comfort they are looking for.

Coffee, the comfort shared gives you an edge over regular coffee!

Coffee isn’t just about spending that money or wasting 2 hours over mere chit-chat; it’s about taking deep pleasure in the various flavors of opportunity, friendship and comfort that come with every cup. Coffee is truly about honest and open times of giving and taking between your date(s) and you. I hope you continue to discover newer and exciting personal favorites.

P.S. The coffee you order should always be served with unforgettable taste. It does enhance every coffee date and hence, for now we’ll trust those who make our coffee to satisfy our taste buds. Enjoy your Coffee!

No comments: