Thursday, March 08, 2012

A Trip back to South India (December 2006)


I stand fidgeting on a rooftop and watch a line of faces troop in. Some ring a bell and many don't. I realize it isn't a good sign so i turn and ask my closest neighbor - who are they? He identifies and describes them to me one by one. I learn in minutes the family story -- to some i'm an aunt, to many a cousin. The names they call me vary as my relation to them does. A brother's child pronounces a strange word while a sister's little one another. Some of them are taller and bigger than me. I wonder in awe -- what I had witnessed nearing Nine years ago had undergone transformation. 

My smile widened and I began to fit in -- the long lost hand was slipping into the glove. Well, almost -- when the faces reached the first floor -- they turned and looked at me, some stared. Most of them shuffled quickly into the next room. A few asked questions and realizing I was indeed family -- came greeting. I heard "Who is that girl?", "Is she a North Indian" and more uttered in loud whispers ... Should I laugh or should I cry? Tough Call! I smiled and decided to make the most of my two and a half day visit. 

I re-introduced my self to them. There were some new faces as well -- add-ons to the family through marriage vows and wedding bells. I viewed my extended family with joy -- it was a totally different world down here in South India. The days went by quickly -- long drives, long chats, long hours of eating and meeting. Need I say more? It was a wedding after all -- the last girl cousin's in our large family excluding of course, me! 

I concluded -- I had changed, they had changed -- Life had moved on and if you can't speak Tamil, just stick to English! I said goodbye and returned home satisfied!

1 comment:

apurbasayshi said...

well done.